Babies & toddlers from approximately 4-24 months
What happens in Rainbow room?
Rainbow Room is a home away from home. Our practitioners are kind, loving and caring, working in partnership with parents to support separation and the overall care and development of each child.
Children have easy access to small world toys, climbing area, sand, role play, quiet corner, books, soft toys, sensory lights etc. They often read or sing in one-to-one or small groups around the practitioners.
We offer a wide range of messy play and art activities, adapting to the different ages and individual needs.
- shredded paper
- crazy foam
We also like music, rhymes, action songs. Our practitioners make sure that we keep our hands occupied with shakers, rattles and anything that makes an interesting sound.
Our other favourite is the treasure basket that has a variety of exciting objects in to explore: wooden, metallic items, soft fabrics.
Once a place is confirmed and the start date is set we arrange the settling in session for the week before the first full day. Parents will receive regular updates through Tapestry and verbally at collection time.
typical settling in times:
- Day 1 – 9.30 – 11.30
- get to know the staff, meet key person
- have snack with the group
- join in the activities
- fill out information forms
- manager to set up Tapestry account
- Day 2 – 9.30 – 12.30
- parents are encouraged to leave their baby/child with staff at the setting
- join in play
- staying for lunch
- Day 3 – 8.30 – 2.30
- join in play
- staying for lunch and sleep
- Day 4 – 8.30 – 4.00
- coming for breakfast
- stay for afternoon tea
It may take 4-6 weeks for a child to be fully settled, depending on the number of days they do.
Parents will be invited to discuss their child’s progress with the key person after 6-8 weeks of starting.
What do I need to bring when my baby starts?
- Spare clothes
- Comforter (blanket, teddy, dummy if used)
- Tooth brush
- Nappies, wipes, nappy cream
- Formula and bottle (if used)
- Outdoor shoes
- One family photo for the family board
- Seasonal items: sun hat, sun cream, warm, layered clothing